Thomas M. McHugh
United States District Court for New Hampshire
Direct #: (617) 330-7064
Fax #: (617) 330-7550
- Represents individuals, for-profit, and non-profit entities on general corporate, medical and technology transfer, and employment issues and has experience in advising clients on general business planning issues, including entity formation, governance, and dissolution.
- Advises clients in negotiating, preparing, and reviewing contracts, drafting agreements, including shareholder, consulting, and employment agreements, and in representing large and small businesses in commercial transactions, including the private placement of securities.
- Represents a wide array of clients, including:
- Clients forming new business entities in Massachusetts and other jurisdictions;
- Buyers and sellers in the purchase and sale of privately held companies;
- Business clients performing mergers, acquisitions, and other related transactions;
- Management of companies in general corporate governance;
- Management in general employment relationships, including drafting and reviewing employment and other agreements;
- Clients undertaking the private placement of securities in various jurisdictions;
- Technology clients in various business matters, including a merger with a publicly traded corporation; and
- Various charities securing tax-exempt status and related matters.
Previously served as Legal Counsel and Legislative Assistant in the United States Senate
- Assisted a U.S. Senator in preparation, analysis, and introduction of legislation.
- Briefed a U.S. Senator and conducted legal research on various legal issues, including small business and corporate concerns, class action reform, asbestos litigation reform, Internet sales and access taxes, business activity taxes, judicial nominations to the Federal bench, cyber security, technology, intellectual property, housing, transportation, appropriations regarding the Department of Justice and the Small Business Administration, budget, campaign finance, and general security issues.
- Conducted meetings with Members of Congress, interest groups, constituents, and press.
- Attended and prepared for Committee meetings, including the Senate Appropriations and Senate Budget Committees.
- Maintained contact with government agencies, constituents, and interest groups affected by proposed and pending legislation.
- Assisted Senator in general strategy and drafting speeches.
Honors: Recipient of the Eugene F. Rowan Memorial Award for 2003 from the Service Corp of Retired Executives (SCORE) for commitment to the progress and growth of small business.
Going Mobile: Distracted Drivers and Liability for Employers (Apr. 7, 2016)
- Voting in Elections Under Power of Attorney in Massachusetts (Feb. 25, 2016)
Employee Non-Compete Agreements in Massachusetts: “These Times They Are A-Changin'” (May 1, 2014)
- Massachusetts Health Connector’s Termination of Section 125 Voluntary Plans (Dec. 1, 2013)
Professional and Community Involvements
- North Shore Chamber of Commerce
- North Shore Technology Council
- Following law school graduation, served as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court
- Served as Legislative Assistant and counsel to United States Senator
- Served as Assistant to the United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
- Boston University School of Law, JD, 1999
- Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, BSFS, 1994