David has a diverse business practice representing U.S. and foreign clients in their US and cross-border business transactions. He advises domestic and foreign clients, ranging from start-ups to larger public and private companies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, and in every stage of business development, structuring and management, including succession planning, financing and strategizing. David has unique experience in matters focused on the European and Asian markets, including establishment of numerous equity joint ventures for American, Canadian and European companies in the People’s Republic of China, and structuring and development of enforceable contracts for uses in China, Vietnam and elsewhere. He also represents entertainment industry players and handles entertainment law matters.
David is a former UK resident, and before becoming a lawyer, he had worked for a senior Member of Parliament in London. He speaks regularly on international and domestic business law, and is a contributing writer for China Law Blog. He is also a former adjunct professor at Providence College, where he taught Business Law, Public Policy Studies and Leadership Studies.
- Representation in 2019 of California-based manufacturer of indoor gardening systems and of Florida-based lighting systems companies with their parts and molding purchases in China. David has performed similar work for clients based in Canada, England and the United States over the past 30 years.
- Represented sister companies with operations in the United States and in Canada in the 2018 sale of both operations to a Chinese public company.
- In 2013-16, David represented the World’s largest manufacturer of herbal teas, based in Germany, in a multimillion dollar joint venture with a Fortune 100 company for tea plantations and facilities in South America.
- Represented a British public company in the pharmaceutical industry in acquisitions in California and Pennsylvania, and in the sale of that public company to a US private equity firm in 2018.
- Continuously represented the estate of one of Jamaica’s most famous reggae stars in many matters since 2008, including in a movie biopic deal with a major London-based film production company.
- Worked in many different roles, on both taxable corporate bonds and tax-exempt public financings with cumulative values in excess of US$3 billion.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Peter Tosh Foundation
- Member, TiE-Boston and New England Chinese Information and Networking Association (NECINA)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Panelist and Speaker, China-US Lawyers Forum, Harvard University Medical School (March 8, 2017)
- Panelist, “IP Protection in Asia,” Suffolk University Sawyer School of Business (February 9, 2017)