James “Jim” Sperling has more than forty years of experience in sophisticated real estate transactions. He regularly represents real estate investors in the acquisition and disposition, due diligence, zoning, financing, management, and leasing of substantial real estate investment properties. His counsel is widely sought for his broad experience in all aspects of real estate law, but also for his calm, practical and insightful counsel when issues arise.
- Acquisition of poorly managed downtown office building for an investment JV and complete re-positioning of Building through re-tenanting and capital improvements, and ultimate sale, resulting in superior returns.
- Representation of the owner of a dilapidated mill complex in connection with a residential rehab project, including resolution of innumerable zoning, title, environmental, survey, historic preservation, tax credit, political, financing, and other issues.
- Frequent service as local counsel on national deals, frequently involving billion-dollar deals for pools of hotels or other portfolio assets.
- Counsel to numerous family real estate companies, including advice on complicated zoning, subdivision, sale, bankruptcy, tax and title issues.
Recognition and Awards
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2020-2024
- Martindale-Hubbell® – Ranked AV Preeminent, 1991-2022
- The Boston Globe – 2012 “Top Rated Lawyers”
Professional and Community Involvement
- Treasurer, Member of Board of Directors, Executive Committee, Administration & Finance Chair, and Land Acquisition Committee, Massachusetts Audubon Society, various years
- Shady Hill School
- President, Board of Trustees (1996–2001)
- Member of Board (1994–2001)
- Chair, and Buildings and Grounds Committee (1992–1996)
- Founding member and Member Board of Trustees/Foundation Board, Bridge Boston Charter School, 2012–current
- Founding Member, Avon Hill (Cambridge) Neighborhood Conservation District
- Member, Finance, Leasing, and Zoning Sub-Committees, Boston Bar Association
- Former Chair, Leasing Committee, Boston Bar Association