Mark Heinzelman is a Partner in the Litigation Department where he focuses his practice on product liability, premises liability and general liability defense. Mark has extensive experience defending contractors, insurers and product manufacturers, ranging from independent local businesses to Fortune 500 corporations, in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has particular expertise representing clients in the hospitality industry, including hotels, restaurants, music venues and movie theaters. Mark’s background also includes experience representing clients in a variety of commercial litigation, toxic tort and civil RICO matters.
Areas of Concentration:
- Appellate litigation
- Commercial litigation
- Construction litigation
- Insurance litigation
- Represented global water engineering firm as member of trial team defending state and federal professional negligence claims related to the Flint, MI lead water crisis.
- Represented engine component manufacturer in connection with federal product liability claims arising from helicopter crash in residential neighborhood.
- Represented a trash collection company in negligence action brought by minor plaintiff for catastrophic personal injuries sustained in bicycle collision with third party motorist.
- Defended electrical component manufacturer at trial against product liability and negligence claims in toxic tort case that settled following testimony of defense causation expert.
- Successfully appealed trustee process and real estate attachments related to $23,000,000 real estate and site development project on behalf of commercial construction contractor.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division Steering Committee, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Member, College of the Holy Cross Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors, Dan Allen Foundation, Inc.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Panelist, “Survive & Thrive: Tips of the Trade,” Massachusetts Bar Association (March 2019)
- Author, “Supreme Court Continues Recent Trend of Limiting Plaintiff Forum-Shopping on Personal Jurisdiction Grounds,” MassDLA Newsletter (August 2017)
- Contributing author, “Evolving Areas of Toxic Tort and Other Mass Litigation,” Toxic Tort Litigation Guide (2007–2008 Edition) Contributing author
- “Trial of a Chapter 93A Action: An Overview of Common Issues,” MCLE Chapter 93A Rights and Remedies, 2nd Edition (2007)