Milton Bordwin is of counsel at Rubin and Rudman. Milton joined the firm part-time while still serving as a member of the Harvard Law School Faculty. He is a graduate (cum laude, Accounting) of the Baruch School of Business Administration (City College of New York) and holds two law degrees from Harvard Law School, J.D. and L.L.M.
He is a member of the bars of Massachusetts, New York and the Supreme Court of the United States, where he successfully argued the landmark Federal civil procedure case Foman v. Davis, 371 U.S. 178. This case has been cited by state and federal courts every working day since the opinion was issued – in a total of over 27,000 court decisions.
In 2017 Bordwin published SOLVED!– 40 Tales of his solutions to the most vexing problems clients threw at him over his 60-year career as a business lawyer.
Bordwin is former Chairman of his law firm’s managing Executive Committee. He is a veteran of the U.S. Army, having served in Vienna, Austria and in Germany, where he rose to the rank of Private First Class.
Computer Software/Hardware; Internet; E-commerce; Nanotechnology; Cyber-Security/Automation; Wireless Transmission/Broadband/Spectrum and Telecom
Representative Client Industries:
- Medical Instruments and Devices
- Web Design, Hosting and Maintenance
- Industrial Measurement Tools
- Database Management
- Knowledge Management
- Search Engines; Business Intelligence
- Computer Component Sales
- Graphic/Pictorial Web Search Tools
- Hi-tech and Broadband Spectrum Venture Capital
- Computer-Aided Manufacture
- Automatic Optical Inspection Hardware/Software
- Scanning and Translation Devices
- Wireless Transmission Noise/Static Filtration
- Nanotech and Carbon Fiber Devices
Legal Work Includes:
- Business-Plan Drafting/Editing
- Startups, Incorporation, Planning, Stock Options, etc.
- Licensing Agreements
- Joint Ventures and Partnerships
- Shareholder Agreements; Voting Trusts, etc.
- Personnel and Human Resource Issues
- Employment Agreements
- Financing, Loan Agreements, etc.
- Confidentiality/Non-compete, etc. Agreements
- Management Agreements
Real Estate: Development; Financing; Construction; Leasing; Management; etc.
25+ years of experience representing Boston’s premiere developers in various aspects of real estate development and management, including work on the following buildings:
- Center Plaza Office Building (3 conjoined structures) (Government Center, Boston)
- 175 Federal Street (Office Tower – Boston)
- One Federal Street (Office Tower – Boston)
- Wellesley Office Park (7 buildings – Wellesley, MA)
- Worcester Center (2 office buildings; enclosed mall; major garage – Worcester MA)
- 75 State Street (Office Tower – Boston)
- Rowes Wharf (Offices; Residential Condos; Boston Harbor Hotel; etc. – Boston)
- One Post Office Square (Office Tower) and Langham (formerly Meridien) Hotel (Boston)
- Shawmut Park (12 building industrial park – Canton, MA)
- Blake Estates, Hyde Park, Boston, MA
- Chatham Estates (I and II), Brockton, MA
- Williamsburg Estates, Harrisburg, PA
- Colonial Estates, Richmond, VA
- Wargo Road Estates (250-unit subdivision), Hopewell Township, NJ
Retail (especially Chain-Store, Shopping Center and Mall Leasing and Operations)
- Negotiated hundreds of store leases (mostly for tenants, some representing landlords); and oversaw personnel/HR issues; real estate matters and other operational, supplier and landlord-tenant matters for retailers.
Corporate-Business: Startups; Operations; Sales/Purchases of Businesses
In addition to corporate work for hi-tech, real estate and retail businesses, Bordwin has served as outside general counsel to companies in the following areas/types of business: advertising/PR; construction; commercial bakery; printing; equipment distribution and sales reps; chemical manufacture; trucking; energy; hi-tech electronic components; etc.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Author, “SOLVED!,” How a Business Lawyer Solves Clients' Problems Strategically - With Creativity and Imagination (2017)