Ralph Rivkind represents closely-held businesses, non-profit organizations, and families and individuals in the areas of taxation, business law, banking, commercial transactions, real estate, and estate planning and estate administration.
Ralph serves on several Boards of Directors, both public and charitable. For clients he has served as a trusted advisor to multiple generations of owners in family-held businesses. He has worked with clients as they have grown – in one example, from a small local business with three stores to a chain with more than one hundred locations throughout New England; in another case, he worked with an entrepreneur to start-up a company which now has more than $1 billion in sales.
Clients such as these seek Ralph’s assistance in acting as their general counsel in handling all legal matters as their businesses grow. Ralph counsels on employment issues, real estate transactions, tax matters and, most importantly, helping clients avoid inter-family strife upon death of the founders.
Ralph recently participated in a lawsuit against a major international bank for deceptive actions against a customer, in which the court awarded restitution, double damages, and attorneys’ fees.
Ralph Rivkind is the recipient of numerous honors, and has been recognized by The Boston Globe as one of Boston’s Top-Rated Lawyers.
Recognition and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell – Rated AV Preeminent, 5.0 by peers (the highest possible review)
- Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Inc. – Honored for his years of service
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Southfield Redevelopment Authority, (Sept. 2014 – June 2016)
- Officer and Director (1974–2016); and Former Chair, Advisory Board and Former Chairman (1988), South Shore Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Directors, Cardinal Cushing Centers, Inc. (July 2013 for a term through June 30, 2019)
- Member, Advisory Panel (2005-6 and present); and Member, Governing Board (2004–2007, and present), BZWISE f/k/a South Shore Athena Powerlink Program, which advises woman-owned businesses
- Director, Triangle, Inc., whose mission is to assist and support people with disabilities, (2004–2012)
- Trustee, Bob Sullivan Memorial Foundation
- Member, Zoning Board of Appeals, Town of Norwell, (2003–2009) and reelected for several terms, expired June 30, 2020
- Member, Finance Committee, Town of Norwell (2009–2011)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Co-author, “Going Mobile: Distracted Drivers and Liability for Employers,” (Apr. 6, 2016)
- Co-author, “Employee Non-Compete Agreements in Massachusetts: “These Times They Are A-Changin’”,” (May 1, 2014)
- Co-author, “Massachusetts Health Connector’s Termination of Section 125 Voluntary Plans,” (Dec. 1, 2013)