Susan Moniz Harrington’s extensive litigation background is unique for a trusts and estates attorney, and means that she can anticipate and solve issues through drafting and answer clients’ questions about process from an insider’s perspective. She is available to clients “24/7”, 365 days of the year and is well known for her immediate responsiveness to her client’s needs.
Susan works closely with investment advisors and litigators, providing a broad spectrum of services throughout the life cycle to individuals, families, special needs adults, children, and their caretakers. In addition to drafting estate plans, among her colleagues she’s known as the “go-to” person for their most complex and challenging cases. Often called upon to protect her clients, she ensures that they are safe, that they receive appropriate psychological or substance abuse help, and that they have an ally who will help them remain in the community and avoid becoming institutionalized.
Susan’s experience on estate settlement matters ranges from the simple to the complex, involving all types of assets. She often helps to manage wealth for her clients serving as trustee or adviser to outside trustees and registered investment advisers, whether it be helping with simple estate planning, prenuptial and antenuptial agreements, coordinating support for independent living, helping stage an intervention or admission to a facility for families whose members are battling psychological, addiction or other medical issues. Susan is solution-based and has the professional resources and connections in order to help families find resolution by taking a multi-disciplinary approach utilizing social workers, psychologists, and outreach workers where appropriate.
- Full service, solution-based practice
- Estate planning for individuals, families, and for individuals with special needs
- Representing clients before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- Representing clients in matters involving the Internal Revenue Service
- Litigating and advising on matters including estates, guardianships, and conservatorships
- Serving as a trustee
- Assisting clients in initially and continuing to qualify for Medicaid and Social Security benefits
- Providing consultation to tort lawyers and divorce counsel as they evaluate settlement options
- Reviewing and advising clients on contractual matters, including consulting agreements
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Board of Advisors, Boston College Carroll School of Management, 2013 to present
- Member, Boston College CEO Club, 2013 to present
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Examiners, 1996 to present
- Member, Public Education Committee (1998) and Member, Board of Directors for Women’s Caucus (1999), Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Board of Professionals, Special Need Advocates for Parents (SNAP), present
- Member, Board of Managers (2005–2010) and Chair (2007–2012), Dartmouth YMCA
- Member, Board of Directors, South Coast YMCA, 2006–2012
- President, Parent Association and Chair, Student Enrichment Committee, Friends Academy, Dartmouth
- Chair, SeptemberFest Committee, St. Julie Billiart Church, Dartmouth, 2008–present
- Town Meeting Member, Town of Dartmouth, 2003–2007