Denise I. Murphy
Partner and Chair, Labor and Employment
- Chair of the Firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group
- Counsels regional and national businesses on a broad variety of employment law-related issues, ranging from individual terminations to mass reductions in force.
- Drafts a multitude of employment contracts, severance agreements, handbooks, and policy statements, and conducts numerous discrimination investigations and employee training seminars.
- Litigates sexual harassment claims, and cases involving claims of racial, gender, age, disability, and national origin discrimination, in both the federal and state courts locally and nationwide.
- Appears before administrative bodies such as the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and other state agencies across the country.
- Lectures at seminars sponsored by the Professional Liability Underwriting Society, the National Business Institute, and the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education series.
- Active member of the Massachusetts Bar Association, its Employment Law section, and the Women’s Bar Association.
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D.
- Editor and Staff Writer, Suffolk University Law Review
- University of Massachusetts, B.A.
Professional and Community Involvements
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Vice President, 2017-2018
- Officer and Secretary, 2016-2017
- Member, Executive Management Board
- Past Chair and current Member, Joint Bar Committee on Judicial Appointments
- Past Chair, and current Member of Labor and Employment Section
- Member, Budget and Finance Committee, Policies and Procedures Committee
- September 11th Committee, Conversations on Law and Liberty Program
- House of Delegates Regional Delegate
- Task Force on the Court System’s Anniversary Fee Assessment
- MBA Social Networking Task Force
- MBA Task Force on Employment Opportunities
- Past member, Town of Westwood, Finance and Warrant Commission: Chair of Educational Subcommittee; Member: Municipal Subcommittee
- Past member, Board of Editors, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association, Executive Board
- Women’s Bar Association
- Mentoring Circle Leader
- Past Co-Chair, Judicial Appointments, Applications, and Endorsement Committee
- Massachusetts Bar Foundation
- IOLTA Grant Review Committee
- Regional Committee
- Past member: Welch Healthcare and Retirement Group Ethics Committee
- Group leader: Christmas in the City
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly – Honored as one of the 2015 “Top Women of Law” (Oct. 2015)
- The Boston Globe, Boston’s Top Rated Lawyers (2012)
- Massachusetts Bar Association, “Centennial Award” (2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- Boston Magazine, Top 50 Women Attorneys (2008 to present)
- SuperLawyers (2008 to present)
- Quoted, Weinstein Scandal Seen as Impacting Law Firm Culture, Mass Lawyers Weekly (12.11.17)
- Quoted in Johnson Makes Rare Speech as Fidelity Deals With Harassment, Bloomberg.com (10.24.17)
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Injunction Update, a Rubin and Rudman LLP client update by Denise I. Murphy (Nov. 23, 2016)
- New DOL Rules Significantly Increase Employers’ Overtime Obligations, a Rubin and Rudman LLP client update by Denise I. Murphy (May 27, 2016)