Dana Lewis joined Rubin and Rudman’s Trusts and Estates practice group in April 2009. Of her practice she says, “I take genuine pleasure in counseling clients. In my practice, I am part lawyer, part social worker, part friend, and part confidant. Over the course of my long relationship with clients, I see the ebb and flow of family dynamics. I am privileged to help families make their dreams and aspirations come true both for themselves and for successive generations.”
After earning her B.S. in Biology at Trinity College, where she won the Yitzhak Rabin Award in Modern Hebrew, Lewis graduated from Syracuse University School of Law where she was a member of the Syracuse Law Review and editor-in-chief of The Labor Lawyer. Lewis then went on to earn her LL.M. in Taxation from Boston University School of Law.
Today, with over a decade of experience, Lewis focuses her practice on the preparation of highly-sophisticated estate plans, including life insurance planning, charitable gift programs, and other strategies relating to the elimination and minimization of gift, estate and generation-skipping transfer taxes. She also has extensive experience in estate and trust administration. Lewis is married and lives in Metrowest Boston with her husband and two children.
- Draft wills, generation-skipping dynasty trusts, irrevocable insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, durable powers of attorney, health care proxies, and HIPAA releases.
- Prepare gift tax returns.
- Counsel clients in making lifetime gifts of discounted assets through Delaware series limited liability companies.
- Advise beneficiaries on withdrawal options of inherited retirement plans for the most effective deferral of income taxes.
- Assist clients with probate and estate administration, including the preparation of state and federal estate tax returns.
- Reduce combined state and federal estate taxes using qualified disclaimers.
- Serve as trustee of clients’ revocable and irrevocable insurance trusts.
- Review fiduciary income tax returns.
Recognition and Awards
- Named, a Top Lawyer for Trusts and Estates in Boston Magazine’s inaugural edition of Top Lawyers, 2021
Professional and Community Involvement
- Former Co-Chair, Estate Planning Fundamentals Committee, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Boston Estate Planning Council
- Committee Member, Combined Jewish Philanthropies, Young Lawyers Group (2003–2006), and Jaffa Society (2004–2006)
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter, “Carrying Out Your Wishes: Probate, Trusts, Wills and More” (April 29, 2008)