David M. Friedman
- (617) 330-7157 (Direct)
- (617) 330-7550 (Fax)
David Friedman believes that a good lawyer solves problems rather than intensifies conflict. He is committed to the well-being of his clients, and his counsel reflects his values of dignity, respect, and fairness. Since 2005, David has successfully led clients through all aspects of family law matters with deep experience, thorough preparation, and practical sense.
David’s practice is focused on representing and counseling clients in all aspects of family law, including divorce, modification, and enforcement (contempt) proceedings.
Particular areas of focus include:
- Division of assets
- Alimony and child support
- Child custody and parental rights
David has appeared before trial courts across the Commonwealth, as well as the Massachusetts Appeals Court and Supreme Judicial Court. His cases frequently involve closely held businesses, valuation of commercial and residential real estate, trust interests and inheritance, and complex compensation structures (including equity compensation plans). David is also experienced in conciliating and arbitrating family law matters, as well as representing clients on domestic relations-related appeals. He regularly negotiates and drafts prenuptial, postnuptial, and nonmarital agreements.
He has lectured on domestic relations law topics and trial procedure for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the Boston Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and Suffolk University Law School. David has authored chapters for the Massachusetts Divorce Law Practice Manual (Chapter 8, Division of Estate; Chapter 20, Modification) and LexisNexis Practice Guide: Massachusetts Family Law (Chapter 12, Agreements), and has published articles in various magazines on the topics of divorce and financial planning. He has been quoted in Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly and The Boston Globe as to issues of family law.
When not in the office, David enjoys soccer and skiing, and sharing adventures with his wife and two boys.
Recognition and Awards
- Named, Boston Magazine, Top Lawyers, Family Law, 2021-2022
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America©, Family Law, Litigation Trusts and Estates, 2019-2022
- Selected, New England Super Lawyers©, 2022
- Selected, New England Rising Stars©, Family Law, 2013-2020
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Massachusetts Child Support Guidelines Task Force
- Council Member, Boston Bar Association
- Family Law Committee Member, Massachusetts Access to Justice Commission
- Family Law Section Co-chair, Boston Bar Association (2018 – 2020)
- Founding Member, Greater Family Law Inn of Court
- Frequent Lecturer/Presenter for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Boston Bar Association, Massachusetts Bar Association and Suffolk University Law School
- Leadership Committee Member, Lawyers Clearinghouse
- Advisory Committee, Boston Bar Association Public Interest Leadership Program