Dave Wittmann is a member of Rubin and Rudman’s Corporate Department. Dave’s practice focuses on representing emerging and growth-stage companies in connection with general corporate matters, with a particular emphasis on capital-raising transactions. Additionally, Dave regularly represents venture capital firms and angel investors in connection with their investments in a wide range of industries, investment sizes, and deal structures (equity, SAFEs, SAFTs, convertible notes, etc.).
Dave serves as outside general counsel for emerging and growth stage companies, as well as more traditional closely held businesses located throughout the United States, providing day-to-day legal and strategic advice on issues including formation and entity selection, financing, compensation (stock options, SAR plans), securities regulation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, employment, tax, software licensing, among others matters.
In addition to drawing from his experiences as a private practice business attorney for nearly 15 years, Dave most recently served as General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer at a New York-based, multi-stage Venture Capital Firm, which required Dave to provide commercial, no-nonsense advice. In this role, Dave was exposed to countless financing transactions, and he regularly attended to fund formation matters, offering material preparation and reviews, investor communication matters, and compliance matters (including Advisers Act-related issues).
- Represented a Venture Capital Firm in a $20M+ growth stage investment in an AI-focused software company
- Represented a Venture Capital Firm in a $20M+ growth stage investment in a super-car manufacturing company
- Represented a Venture Capital Firm in a $3M Series A investment in an internet-based, mental health platform
- Represented a Venture Capital Firm in a $10M early stage (SAFE) investment in an internet-based, behavioral modification platform
- Represented an investor in a $2.5M secondary purchase of common stock in an early-stage coffee brand
- Represented a marketing agency in connection with the development of an employee compensation plan
- Represented an internet-based consumer brand company in connection with a $5M Series A financing
- Represented an AI-based robotics company in connection with the negotiation of multiple service agreements with big-box retailers
*Some of the representations listed above were handled by Wittmann prior to his joining Rubin and Rudman LLP
Recognition and Awards
- Selected, Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Stars List, 2012, 2016 – 2018
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member of Board of Directors, Volunteers of America Massachusetts (September 2019 to current)
- Member of Board of Directors, Reading Youth Lacrosse (December 2023 to current)