Joseph Tarby is a partner in the firm’s Real Estate practice group. He represents clients in the areas of zoning law, land use law, real estate law and liquor license law. He represents many national, regional and local property and shopping center developers, retailers and restaurants on leasing, zoning, land use and liquor license matters. Joseph also represents lenders and borrowers in commercial real estate and asset based financing.
Tarby has decades of experience representing national, regional and local property and shopping center developers, retailers and restaurants. Additionally, he advises lenders and borrowers in commercial real estate and asset-based financing.
Tarby is active in many community organizations, including serving on the Board of Trustees of Winchester Hospital, part of the Beth Israel/Lahey Health System (BILH). He is the Chair of the hospital’s Quality Patent Experience and Care Assessment Committee which focuses on patient safety, procedures, quality metrics, physician credentialing, and most recently, updates on COVID-19 procedures. He is Past President of the Woburn Chamber of Commerce and a current Board Member.
- Represented major restaurant chain in connection with a $55 million dollar sale/leaseback transaction involving 30 restaurant properties with GE Capital and U.S. Realty Advisors LLC.
- Represented major restaurant chain in connection with a $160 million dollar sale of restaurant business.
- Represented major shopping center developer in obtaining zoning approvals to expand shopping mall.
- Represent(ed) numerous restaurants on liquor license applications and violations throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and before the Commonwealth Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission.
- Representation of hospital client in connection with obtaining land use approvals for a Regional Cancer Care Center and Surgical Center.
- Representation of major healthcare system in obtaining land use permits for a COVID-19 testing facility.
- Representation of national movie theater chain for over thirty (30) years on land use permitting, liquor license applications, general real estate work and litigation.
- Representation of client in obtaining land use permits for mixed-use project including a major hotel chain and three restaurants.
- Representation of client in connection with obtaining approval of Zoning Overlay District allowing for over one million square feet of mixed use residential, senior housing, affordable housing, medical facility, retail and office uses.
- Representation of client in connection with obtaining land use permits for 115 townhomes, including 12 affordable housing units.
- Representation of client in obtaining land use permits for high-rise 41 unit apartment building in downtown Woburn, Massachusetts.
- Representation of client in obtaining land use permits for mixed use of residential and retain in former Commonwealth of Massachusetts Armory building.
- Representation of several auto dealers in connection with obtaining land use permits for expansion of dealership facility and satellite parking.
- Representation of national senior housing developer in obtaining land use permits for an independent living, assisted living and memory care facility.
- Representation of national casino operator on potential development of casino in Massachusetts.
- Representation of major health care system in obtaining land use permits for a medical office building providing ambulatory care services.
- Representation of local developer in connection with obtaining land use permits for the conversion of a church to a residential development and the conversion of a historical building to a 55 year and older multi-residential building.
- Representation of regional developer in connection with a 200 unit 40B development.
- General Counsel to the Woburn Redevelopment Authority for more than twenty (20) years.
- General Counsel to the Woburn Golf and Ski Authority for more than twenty-five (25) years.
Recognition and Awards
Listed, Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law, (2022)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Board of Trustees and Assistant Clerk, Winchester Hospital, part of Beth Israel/Leahy Health System (BILH)
- Board of Directors, Northmark Bank
- Board Member Emeritus, Woburn Chamber of Commerce (Past President)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Restaurant Association
- Member, Massachusetts Conveyancers Association
- Member, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Former Member, National Association of Alcoholic Beverage Licensing Attorneys
- Past President, Woburn Rotary Club
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Mentioned, “Local drug-maker’s expansion plan back before planners,” Daily Times Chronicle (Sep 14, 2021)
- Mentioned, “The changing restaurant scene in Woburn has changed once again,” Daily Times Chronicle (Apr 27, 2021)