Michael J. Novaria
Partner and Chair, Real Estatemnovaria@rubinrudman.com
- (617) 330-7088 (Direct)
- (617) 330-7550 (Fax)
Michael Novaria, Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Department, has a diverse practice focusing on commercial real estate and financing. He represents developers, retailers and restaurants in the acquisition, permitting, development, financing and leasing of office buildings, shopping centers, cannabis-related uses and mixed-use developments. A significant portion of his practice involves negotiating office leases, retail leases and ground leases.
Michael’s corporate practice is focused on representing private and emerging growth companies where he advises clients on a wide range of corporate law matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and equity and debt financings. Clients frequently rely on Michael to serve as their outside general counsel.
Michael has also counseled international companies and individuals in cross-border transactions, mergers and acquisitions, setting up distribution channels, operations and establishing their presence in the United States. He works closely with directors and officers regarding the structure and terms of incorporation, taxation issues, immigration matters, employment and real estate in order to develop a strong strategy for success in the United States.
- Advised publicly-traded restaurant chain in the national acquisition, permitting, development, financing, and leasing of restaurants locations in shopping centers and mixed-use developments.
- Closed multi-million dollar Series B round for nation’s first pure-squeezed cold bar juice from two separate corporate investment groups. Act as outside general counsel for all legal related matters.
- Counsel to inbound international companies seeking to do business in Massachusetts and United States by counseling directors and officers about the top legal and business considerations for expansion into the U.S. market, including structure of incorporation, tax, labor, immigration and real estate concerns.
- Represents small and medium-sized companies from the initial organizational phase through multiple private financings, sale, or merger.
- Represent global M2M managed services and enterprise connectivity solutions company in Boston, MA, with offices in the UK and Switzerland in all general contract and legal related items.
- Negotiates and documents a wide range of business relationships, including intellectual property transfers and licenses, partnerships, executive employment, and employee stock options.
- Regularly counsels UK, Irish, Canadian, and other non-US companies in connection with activities in the US, including acquisitions, financings, licenses and strategic partnerships.
Recognition and Awards
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2020-2023
- Named, Boston magazine, Top Lawyers, Real Estate Law, 2021-2022
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Board of Directors, Commercial Brokers Association (CBA)
- Member, USA500 Clubs
- Associate Member, Andover Zoning Board of Appeals, 2018–Present
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- “Top Legal and Business Considerations for a Foreign Company Looking to do Business in Massachusetts”
- “3 keys for international companies expanding to US market via Boston,” Boston Globe (May 2014)