Daniel Baumel focuses his practice in the areas of employment law, higher education, and labor relations. He represents employers regarding the negotiation and implementation of collective bargaining agreements and the defense of employment actions. In addition, Daniel’s practice includes providing counsel and guidance to employers on management policies, employer manuals, and human resource operations, including compliance with state and federal employment law, hiring and promotion, disciplinary action, leaves of absence, reasonable accommodations, and discrimination claims.
Additionally, Daniel represents clients before federal and state administrative agencies, including the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD), the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA), and other agencies. Daniel also has experience in all aspects of arbitration proceedings and labor and employment matters in the District Court of Massachusetts.
Prior to joining Rubin and Rudman, Daniel’s practice focused on labor relations, including the representation of national labor unions, with an emphasis in the New England area. Daniel also served as a judicial intern for the Chambers of Justice Anne Patterson, Supreme Court of New Jersey. While attending and earning his J.D. from Cornell Law School, Daniel served as a Managing Editor for the International Law Journal and participated extensively in Cornell Law School’s Labor Law Clinic.
- Represented regional union in class-action grievance to restore a position exclusive to the bargaining unit.
- Represented a member on behalf of regional union in an unjust termination grievance.
- Represented municipal employees association in collective bargaining with the municipality.
- Participated in negotiation session that created a new position exclusive to union members in the department.
Recognition and Awards
- Selected, Massachusetts Rising Stars, 2023
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Former Operations Intern, Hillary for America
- Former Press and Policy Intern, Office of Member of Parliament Simon Danczuk, London, UK