Kara A. Loridas
- (617) 330-7039 (Direct)
- (617) 330-7550 (Fax)
Kara Loridas is a partner who concentrates her practice in the areas of insurance coverage, insurance law, extracontractual or “bad faith” litigation, complex commercial and tort litigation, and appeals. Kara provides insurers with coverage analysis and opinions in a range of matters involving both commercial lines and personal lines insurance, as well as specialty insurance. She has represented insurers’ interests in large and small matters, some national in scope, some local, and many of significant consequence to the insurance industry. Kara regularly appears as counsel for parties to litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts. Kara also represents clients in arbitrations and mediations.
- Obtained reversal in favor of insurer that an award of attorneys’ fees and expert fees under G.L. c. 93A is not recoverable as “costs taxed” under the Supplementary Payments provision of a liability policy.
- Obtained reversal in favor of insurer of $2.4 million award for insured’s defense costs where insurer offered to defend insured without a reservation of rights and insured rejected that offer without adequate justification.
- Obtained summary judgment, affirmed by Massachusetts Appeals Court, on behalf of insurer applying criminal and dishonest act exclusion in business property policy to “innocent” co-insured’s claim for coverage for fire loss caused by arson committed by other insured.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of insurance company enforcing release executed by policyholder in coverage dispute for employee dishonesty loss under commercial crime policy.
- Represented insurance companies in complex insurance coverage action in obtaining order compelling production of confidential settlement agreement between alleged policyholder and its former parent company.
- Obtained dismissal in favor of general contractor in a dispute with a subcontractor’s secured creditor under the Uniform Commercial Code over an assignment of receivables.
- Represented global insurance company in wrongful death litigation against now defunct gun manufacturer arising out of the Sandy Hook school shooting.
- Represented global insurance company in coverage litigation arising out of hundreds of sexual molestation claims asserted against private university with respect to overseas children’s camp.
Recognition and Awards
- Selected, Massachusetts Rising Stars, 2015-2021
- Named, Boston magazine, Top Lawyers, Insurance Law, 2022
- Suffolk University Law School: Jurisprudence Award for Trusts, Spring, 2010
- Suffolk University Law School: Jurisprudence Award for Secured Transactions, Fall, 2009
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Member, Defense Research Institute
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, “Does It All Flow Down? Additional Insured and Indemnity Limits,” USLaw Network, Inc. Spring 2023 Conference, Insurance Law and Construction Law Tracks (April 1, 2023)
- Speaker, “Force Majeure Clauses,” MCLE's 21st Annual Business Litigation Conference (January 26, 2022)
- Author, “Issues Insurance Companies are Facing Amidst COVID-19,” Rubin and Rudman Client Alert (March 25, 2020)
- Author, “Gov. Baker Signs Law Placing a Moratorium on Evictions and Foreclosures During the COVID-19 State of Emergency,” Rubin and Rudman Client Alert (April 21, 2020)